Mixed Matters AA Visiting School
July 18-29, 2016
Institute for Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design
Pfaffenwaldring 7, 70569 Stuttgart
The Mixed Matters Visiting School will be the first of its kind focusing on a rotating multi-material exploration, as opposed to a fixed geographic location. We will explore contemporary practices of material design, moving away from explorations of single, isotropic or composite materials and towards a new field of investigating material mixtures and grading. The aim will be to discover new types of graded material mixes through which we can question ideas of tectonics, messy building processes, energy, resource and material waste, and the minimal aesthetics of sharp boundaries and uniformity.
The first cycle will be based at the Institute of Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design (ILEK) and the office of str.ucture GmbH Engineering in Stuttgart, where we will attempt to stretch the possibilities of what can be mixed with concrete. We will use the concrete spraying robot at ILEK and build individual small scale prototypes in graded concrete. Intensive digital material simulations will be made alongside physical material prototyping.
Prominent features of the workshop/ skills developed
- Teaching team of AA Diploma tutors and ILEK and str.ucture engineers.
- Access to the studio spaces, workshop facilities, and concrete spraying robot for graded concrete manufacturing of the Institute for Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design (ILEK) and str.ucture GmbH Structural Design Engineering.
- Computational skills tuition on Grasshopper, Karamba Parametric Structural Engineering, Sofistik Finite Element Analysis and Rhino Membrane software.
- Fabrication of small to medium scale functionally graded concrete prototypes.
- Lectures by Achim Menges, Werner Sobek, Manfred Curbach, Julian Lienhard and other academics and practitioners in the fields of architecture and engineering.
The workshop is open to current architecture and design students, PhD candidates, and young professionals.
Software requirements: Rhino (SR7 or later), RealFlow 2015
The deadline for applications is July 4, 2016.