Flamingo nXt development is nearly complete but there are still a few things to do before first release. Meanwhile, you are invited to give it a try.
This completely new nXt technology brings dozens of new features to Flamingo, including:
- 4-5 times faster than Flamingo 2
- Takes more advantage of multi-core machines
- Better quality images are continually refined and updated until halted, allowing you to trade processing time for quality
- Better anti-aliasing
- Better tone reproduction, more saturated colors
- More sophisticated shading algorithm-- much better materials
- HDR backgrounds and lighting
- Objects as light sources
- Indirect lighting without radiosity that can handle complex models without artifacts or specialized modeling
- Advanced displacement map support
- 2-point perspective in Rhino 5.0
- Shadow-catching only objects and ground plane
- New fractal trees/vegetation technology
- New UI new material editor w/lighting and anti-aliasing
- A 64-bit build for Rhino 5.0
- A sun angle calculator
- Support for Flamingo 2 tree libraries
- Localized in Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Czech, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, and Korean
- Blurry transparency for frosted and etched glass, etc.
- Foliage highlight and translucency control to the tree editor
- Many bug fixes including enhanced memory management and stability
- An alternate (pathtrace) render engine for enhanced image quality in some cases. The switch is on the Render tab.
Give it a try. I think you will be surprised by the speed, image quality, and ease of use.